Breakwater Books publishes Canadian literary fiction, commercial fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and children’s books. While we publish books by authors from across the country, our mandate includes a vested interest in publishing the stories and authors of Newfoundland and Labrador. Please peruse our website to ensure that your submission complements recent work published by Breakwater.
Breakwater publishes four books of fiction each year. We predominantly publish literary fiction, but sometimes publish compelling crime and suspense thrillers. Our list also includes novels for young-adults. We do not publish science fiction or fantasy.
Generally, we publish four nonfiction titles each year. We shy away from dry, academic prose and seek, instead, nonfiction works written with a literary flair while making a strong argument based on meticulous research. Breakwater’s nonfiction focuses primarily, though not exclusively, on the people and history of Newfoundland and Labrador. We very rarely publish memoirs.
Breakwater publishes contemporary poetry by authors who have usually published extensively in established literary journals and magazines.
Though we receive hundreds of children’s book submissions, Breakwater only publishes one or two children’s titles each year.
How to Submit
- Include a cover letter detailing the genre, subject matter, intended audience, and total word count (except for poetry and children’s books).
- Please include some brief biographical information regarding writing experience, credentials, and awards or award nominations, if applicable.
- Include a one-page synopsis of the work and a 20 to 30 page sample. Please do not send your entire manuscript, except in the case of children’s books.
- Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for a response. Breakwater Books will not respond to any submission that does not include a SASE. If you wish to have your manuscript sample returned, enclose a large enough envelope with sufficient Canadian postage or International Reply Coupons.
- Please be patient. Breakwater receives hundreds of submissions each year and it takes time to duly consider each one. We respond to every submission we receive.
Do not submit the only copy of a manuscript or original artwork or photographs.
Do not send complete manuscripts.
Do not contact Breakwater regarding the status of your submission. We respond to all submissions.
Breakwater does not consider nor even respond to unsolicited book proposals or manuscripts submitted via email.
Breakwater does not offer editorial feedback unless we are seriously considering publishing your work.
All manuscript submissions must be mailed to the following address:
Breakwater Manuscript Submissions
P.O. Box 2188
St. John’s, NL